Dictionary of Microscopy
The Dictionary of Microscopy by Julian P. Heath
The past decade has seen huge advances in the application of microscopy in all areas of science. This welcome development in microscopy has been paralleled by an expansion of the vocabulary of technical terms used in microscopy: terms have been coined for new instruments and techniques and, as microscopes reach even higher resolution, the use of terms that relate to the optical and physical principles underpinning microscopy is now commonplace.
The Dictionary of Microscopy by Julian P. Heath was compiled to meet this challenge and provides concise definitions of over 2,500 terms used in the fields of light microscopy, electron microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, x-ray microscopy and related techniques. Written by Dr Julian P. Heath, Editor of Microscopy and Analysis (http://www.microscopy-analysis.com), the dictionary is intended to provide easy navigation through the microscopy terminology and to be a first point of reference for definitions of new and established terms.
The Dictionary of Microscopy is an essential, accessible resource for:
- students who are new to the field and are learning about microscopes
- equipment purchasers who want an explanation of the terms used in manufacturers' literature
- scientists who are considering using a new microscopical technique
- experienced microscopists as an aide mémoire or quick source of reference
- librarians, the press and marketing personnel who require definitions for technical reports.
Table of Contents
- Dictionary Entries.
Dr Julian Heath is the Editor of Microscopy and Analysis, the world's leading publication for microscopists. He has worked in microscopy laboratories in universities in the UK and USA and has been involved in the training of students, technicians and postdoctorates in the use of microscopes.
The Wiley Advantage
- Contains an alphabetical listing of over 2,000 technical microscopy terms
- Lavishly illustrated throughout with colour images
- Each entry starts with a simple explanation, before going into greater depth supplying key information required by more advanced microscopists
- Appendices contains helpful lists of Acronyms, Suppliers and Resources
- A must-have resource for professionals, students, instrument manufacturers, libraries and anyone wanting easily understandable explanations of microscopical terms
"I would highly recommend this book to everyone who has interest in modern microscopy."
(Microbe, June 2006)
"This dictionary offers a wealth of information, both for those in the microscopy field…and those new to microscopy…highly recommended."
(CHOICE, April 2006)
"…a quick and handy bookshelf reference."
(Veterinary Pathology, February 2006)
"The book boasts a richness of content and illustrations that could contribute much t the work of novice and expert alike."
(American Reference Books Annual, 2006)
"…provides easy navigation through the microscopy vocabulary. Essential and accessible, it can serve as a first point of reference…"
(SirReadaLot.org, October 2005)
" … a most valuable contribution to the literature which warrants a place on the book shelves of all active microscopists."
(Materials Characterization, August 2006)
" … a useful and very accessible scientific text. For any library … certainly a book that would be worth considering for purchase."
(Reference Reviews, 20:5, September 2006)