Celestron Focuser Motor for SCT, Edge HD and RASA Telescopes - mark II
Celestron Focuser Motor for SCT, Edge HD and RASA Telescopes
This is the latest version as of May 2021
Celestron's Focus Motor is an electronic focuser for use with Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT), EdgeHD and Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) telescope optical tubes. With this focus motor unit installed, celestial objects can be brought into sharp, precise focus using your telescope’s hand controller or a computer. This unit replaces the existing manual focuser knob on your telescope.
A focus motor is great for both visual observers who want to obtain exact focus (especially those with dexterity issues) without requiring to physically touch the telescope. Furthermore, this is a must-have accessory for astroimagers since they no longer need to be physically near the telescope to focus an image and also there is no need to touch the telescope (causing it to "shake" during focusing). Combined with computerised control of the mount and camera, the focus motor enables the imager to gather data remotely from a backyard observatory, or even a telescope located hundreds of miles away.
This electronic focuser will fit the following OTA's produced after 2006 (not compatible with older models or 5” SCTs):
- 6-14" SCT optical tubes
- 8-14" EdgeHD optical tubes (exc. 925 Edge HD)
- 8” Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA)
- 36cm Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA)
- 11” RASA, but requires the Focuser Retrofit Kit for RASA 11.
- Celestron Focus Motor for Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain, EdgeHD and Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) optical tubes
- Enables electronic focusing using a computer or Celestron computerised mount Nexstar+/StarSense hand controller for remote or hands-free observing
- Focuser Utility software for Windows provides a simple user interface and is also compatible with Celestron PWI software.
- ASCOM compliant so enables autofocusing with popular third-party software
- Motor controls include multiple speed rates, automatic GoTo indexed focuser position, and focuser backlash compensation
- Indexed focus position allows the motor to automatically return to a previous focus position and prevents the focus motor from reaching the end of telescope’s mechanical focus travel
POWER / CONTROL OPTIONS
There are three options for powering and controlling your Celestron Focus Motor:
- When using a Celestron computerised mount, you can power and control the focus motor through the mount using the supplied AUX cable. This allows control from the mount’s hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense) or a computer.
- If you are not using a Celestron mount, you can power and control the focus motor from a computer USB port. A user supplied USB A-to-B cable is required.
- You may also opt to use an external 12V DC power source which plugs into the motor’s power jack.
Celestron offers a free Focuser Utility program for computer control of the focuser. The Celestron PWI software can also control the focus motor.
The utility program can give the following functionality:
- multiple speed rates for focus motor control
- move focuser in/out
- automatic GoTo indexed focuser position
- focuser backlash compensation
Screenshot showing the Focuser Utility software
The focuser can be used with popular third-party focuser control software, such as MaximDL, Sequence Generator Pro, AstroArt. In such cases an ASCOM driver is needed and can be downloaded from the Downloads Tab.
Celestron Telescope Design
Compatible with #94155 Focus Motor?
|6”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||All||Yes||Not compatible with #93648 Off-Axis Guider, not compatible with #93519 2" Mirror Diagonal (discontinued)|
|8”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built before 2006||No|
|8”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built 2006 or later||Yes|
|8”||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph||All||TBA|
|9.25”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built before 2006||No|
|9.25”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built 2006 or later||Yes|
|9.25”||EdgeHD||All||No||Currently not compatible due to mechanical interferences|
|11”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built before 2006||No|
|11”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built 2006 or later||Yes|
|11”||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph||All||Yes||Requires #94255 Focuser Retrofit Kit|
|14”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built before 2006||No|
|14”||Schmidt-Cassegrain||Built 2006 or later||Yes|
|36cm||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph||All||TBA|
|Motor:||DC servo motor|
|Spur gears||Brass, 1:1 gear ratio, 38mm diameter, 45 teeth|
|Focuser shaft coupler||Aluminum clamping sleeve|
|Microprocessor||NXP Kinetis series, Arm Coretex-M4 core|
|AUX port power||Powered by Celestron computerized mount AUX port, connecting cable supplied|
|USB port power||USB3 or USB2 providing at least 900mA|
|DC jack power||12V DC, 1A, 5.5mm/2.1mm tip positive plug|
|Compatibility||All SCTs produced after 2006 except 5" SCT, all Edge HD, RASA 8", RASA 36cm, 7" Mak-Cass|
|Speed rates||8°/sec , 32°/sec , 128°/sec|