Astronomik OWB CCD Typ 3 Clip-Filter Canon EOS XL
Astronomik OWB-CCD TYP 3 Clip Filter for Modified Canon EOS FULL FRAME Cameras for Terrestrial Photography
Mounted filter in EOS XL Clip-cell
The OWB filter would usually not be designated as an "astronomical" filter. The intention is to enable converted DSLR cameras (without inbuilt IR-filter) in order to be used for 'terrestrial' photography.
Astronomik have re-designed all of their photographic filters. Since the end of 2008 they are shipping the new "Halo-Free" filters.
The OWB (Original White Balance) filter shifts the complete spectrum of a converted DSLR in such a manner that the camera will not be exclusively usable for astro-photography. Therefore the decision, which in former times had to be made, whether to 'victimize' a DSLR in order to exclusively use it for astronomical tasks or accept the lower sensitivity on the red end of the spectrum it is now a thing of the past and disencumber your purse, too.
The OWB EOS Clip filter has been designed for FULL FRAME CANON EOS cameras.
COMPATIBILITY OF EOS XL Clip-Filters:
Canon Full-Format Cameras 5D Mk II, 5D Mk III and 6D.
5D Mk I will work without LiveView only.
6D MkII will not work with XL Clip-filters.
Please note that the XL-Clip filters will not work with the Canon 5DS, 5DSR, and the 5D Mk IV.
DSLR cameras which have been converted for astronomical use by removing the inbuilt IR-filter or by substituting it with a filter with greater range for H-alpha, have a white balance that made them unable for 'terrestrial' purpose. The spectral sensitivity of the DSLR will be changed by an OWB-Filter to the former range. In other words: The OWB pretend to be the conventional built-in filter!
- Visual observation (dark skies): Unsuitable
- Visual observation (urban skies): Unsuitable
- Film photography: Unsuitable
- CCD photography: Unsuitable
- DSLR photography (original): Unsuitable
- DSLR photography (astro modified): Very good, achieves a standard white balance for 'terrestrial' photography
- DSLR photography (MC modified): Very good, achieves a standard white balance for 'terrestrial' photography
- Webcam / Video (Planets): Unsuitable
- Webcam / Video (Deep Sky): Unsuitable
- Special spectrum in order to adapt modified DSLR cameras (removed or substituted inbuilt IR-filter) to achieve standard colour space in digital imaging.
- Glass thickness: 1 mm
- Parfocal with other Astronomik filters
- Completely resistant against high humidity, scratches and aging effects
- Diffraction limited, the filter will not reduce the optical performance of your telescope (or camera in this case)!
- Astronomik filters are delivered in a high-quality, long lasting, filter box