365Astronomy Giant Alt-Azimuth Binocular Mount Head ONLY- CLEARANCE
This mount provides heavy-duty Alt-Azimuth binocular or telescope carrying capabilities up to about 6kg payload. This mount has been designed to carry large observation binoculars, but it might also be used for small telescopes that come with a photo thread tripod connection or alternatively a Vixen-compatible dovetail clamp can be added. Please note, the distance between the threaded holes doesn't exactly match the distance on the Vixen-style clamp
This mount is similar and a good alternative to the Tele Vue Gibraltar 5 Alt-Azimuth Mount, however it doesn't offer additional functionalities hence the lower price.
Don't forget that you'll also need a heavy duty tripod. We'd recommend to go for one that has got a 3/8" large photo thread (not via an adapter from 1/4" !!!) for maximum stability and reliability.
BEFORE YOU ORDER, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAREFULLY CALCULATE IF YOUR BINOCULARS WILL FIT INSIDE!
The width of the binoculars must be less than about 254mm at around the center where it will be secured to the mount!
- Alt-Azimuth Binocular Mounting Head ONLY
(tripod is not included, but we offer various compatible tripods)
(Vixen-style dovetail clamp is not included but available separately; please note, the distance between holes doesn't exactly match the holes on the mount.)
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE HEAD
- female 3/8" photo thread to connect to a tripod
- male 1/4" photo thread to connect to a binocular or telescope (check out if your telescope has got a 1/4" photo thread !)
- recommended for a large binocular up to 100mm aperture or
- a telescope up to 100-120mm aperture depending on the type of the telescope and the way it is being secured to the mount
Use common sense when you decide what telescope size you attach, if you are using a Vixen-style dovetail clamp attached only by the 1/4" photo thread, we'd recommend to attach a max 100mm refractor or a short 114mm Newtonian telescope; if the dovetail clamp is attached by heavy duty bolts as well (might need a little bit of DIY and sourcing a compatible sink-head screw), then you might mount a 110mm refractor or 130mm Newtonian or maybe even bigger...
- weight of the mounting head: 3.05 kg
- width at the base: 271mm
- width at the holder for the binocular or telescope: 254mm
- distance between screws to hold the bino holder base plate: appr. 38mm
Images are for demonstration only. Show optional tripod and optional Vixen-style Dovetail Clamp as well.